Urban Transformations is an inter- and transdisciplinary open access journal. We offer a publishing and discussion platform for people engaged in science, policy and practice, targeting real-life impact. We invite contributions that address transformative urban change, and help to practically shape it towards sustainability.
Aims and scope
Urban transformations are of vital importance for the future of humanity and ecosystem Earth. They demand deep and accelerated changes in urban patterns and processes across all spheres of life, and from local to global. New knowledge on the subject, dynamics and directions of urban change is dearly needed to shift current development trajectories in the global North and South towards sustainability.
We invite contributions from any disciplines addressing these issues. The journal seeks to deepen and broaden current understandings theoretically, empirically and methodologically. There is a need for novel perspectives, drawing on ontological and epistemological multiplicity, inter- and transdisciplinary approaches. We welcome comparative research designs, as well as innovative methods and techniques. Special attention will be given to outcomes from science-practice co-production and co-design.
We welcome the following article types:
- Research Original research work on the subject, dynamics or direction of urban transformations.
- Review Reviews explore, question, interpret or synthesize the available urban transformation literature on a selected topic.
- Frontiers paper Frontiers papers propose new research topics, approaches or concepts for advancing the science and practice of urban transformations.
- Perspective Short discussions that present thought-provoking arguments from researchers or practitioners.
- Focus point Succinct and informative reports on outstanding practice cases of urban transformations.
Browse all articles
Click here to view which articles have been shared the most!
Annual Journal Metrics
155 days to first decision for all manuscripts (Median)
152 days to first decision for reviewed manuscripts only (Median)
29,464 downloads (2021)
337 Altmetric mentions (2021)
Funding your APC
Visit the membership page to check if your institution is a member and learn how you could save on article-processing charges (APCs).